The weekend of August 19th I spoke in my homily about the crisis that continues to loom in the Catholic Church. Also, Deacon Bill Demidovich gave a very good homily the weekend of September 8-9th. The Holy Father, the USCCB and Bishop Campbell have all issued statements that should be of interest to all members of the faithful. You will find these documents and other resources of interest at the links below:
- Statement by Pope Francis
- Statement by Bishop Campbell
- Statement by Cardinal Daniel DiNardo, USCCB President
Here are some other links as well:
- Four Ways Parents Can Say “No!” to Continued Churchwide Sexual Abuse
- The Clerical Abuse Scandal: What Parents Can Do and How To Talk with Kids
- Coping with the Clergy Abuse Crisis by Gregory Popcak
- A Listening Session for Teens on Sexual Abuse by Priests
- Fr. Mike Schmitz
- Bishop Robert Barron
- George Weigel
- Cardinal Timothy Dolan – Archbishop of New York
I encourage everyone to please take to heart he Holy Father’s Call to a “penitential exercise of prayer and fasting,” in order to “awaken our conscience and arouse our solidarity and commitment to a culture of care that says ‘never again’ to every form of abuse.” This request of his, while not a mandate, is meant to serve as a unified call to holiness, which can be the only response in the face of such a horrific experience perpetrated by members of the clergy and others entrusted with the care of souls.
Please pray for the victims and their families. Let us stand together with Christ as a Church that he may conquer overwhelmingly all that invades the Church which brings harm to others. May our desire to grow in holiness be fulfilled for the Glory of God and for the good of all His people.
Please know of my prayers for you, as I am certain that you will pray for them.
Fr. Anthony A. Dinovo, Jr.