Altar Servers serve a very important role in the Mass. His or her immediate and primary duty is to assist the presiding priest. By reverently serving the priest and deacon, he or she is assisting the entire congregation to prayerfully enter into praise and worship of Almighty God in the Sacred Liturgy. Due to their proximity to the altar, servers are in a unique position to model reverence, respect, and dignity for the entire parish community. Proper and attentive serving leads people into a more prayerful and worthy participation in the Holy Eucharist.
If you have a child who feels called to “Rise Up Now!” and serve the community by being an altar server, please contact Fr. Lynch or call him at the parish office at (614) 885-7814
Current Altar Server Handbook: ST MICHAEL ALTAR SERVER HANDBOOK
7 Reasons to be an Altar Server:
1. You learn why we do everything in the Mass. Sure, swinging the censer (the thing with the smoke & incense) is kind of fun but why is it that we do it? By becoming an altar server you begin to learn these things and it makes all the symbols of the Mass so much more understandable and interesting.
2. You get fully involved in the Mass and get more out of it. Very much linked with the last point, when you start to understand why we do something you get so much more from it. More than this though, by serving at the altar you pay more attention to the whole Mass to help you remember where your part fits in. By focusing and understanding what’s going on, the Mass can then lead you into a much deeper relationship with God and you feel the impact of Mass far greater!
3. You make some great friends – By becoming an altar server you’ll be meeting up with many of the same people every time you serve at Mass. With a great range of ages and experiences, you’ll meet some fantastic people you’d probably meet nowhere else. As your friendship develops, you’ll end up having many friends who all share your faith and this can lead to some brilliant conversations and great memories.
4. You learn some fantastic life skills. Communication, teamwork, perceiving what needs to be done and doing it, punctuality, self-confidence, and the list goes on. Serving on the altar is a great place to start building these skills. You’re supported by all your fellow servers, you have quite a large responsibly and rules to guide you. Even if you do something wrong, nobody in the congregation notices so basically it’s always a winning situation!
5. You become more involved in the community. By taking up a responsibility at Mass you start to recognise more and more people in the church in general. This slowly changes your experience of the church community, from a group of random people you stand next to at Mass, to a large and diverse family who you can meet and chat with every time you go and make you feel truly at home in your church.
6. It helps you discern your vocation better. Far and away the best reason to do altar serving is that it helps you discern your vocation better. Every vocation (whether marriage, consecrated singlehood, religious life or priesthood) is awesome and leads us to a greater and deeper understanding and relationship with God. Altar Serving is a great way to begin to see that beauty more fully in both priesthood and religious life.
7. It gives you a greater appreciation of the priesthood. Even if you are not discerning priesthood, by altar serving you learn so much more about the priest you work with. This is great because it allows you to both fully appreciate his human side while also appreciating much more the sacramental grace he’s been given in holy orders!