Established on January 17, 1946 by Bishop Michael Ready and chosen by our founding pastor The Reverend John P. Byrne on January 31, 1946, St. Michael The Archangel Parish has a rich history as being the first and only Catholic parish in one of Ohio’s oldest communities, a distinction held to this day. Through the years St. Michael’s has grown in the Worthington community from 80 families who attended the first Mass on February 10, 1946 in the seminary chapel at the Pontifical College Josephinum, to the current 1400+ registered families. Parish buildings have also seen growth since those early days, from the first Mass in the first Parish-owned church — The Chase Mansion, on May 26, 1946, to the first Mass in the military style Quonset Hut on July 11, 1948 to the first Sunday Mass on June 14, 1964 in our current beautiful church of Romanesque design, featuring marble pillars and a golden canopy from Italy on the main altar.
Education has been a cornerstone of St. Michael’s parish since those early days when St. Michael elementary school opened for the first time on September 3, 1946 in converted classrooms in the Chase Mansion. Staffed by two Joliet Franciscan sisters, attendance on that first day consisted of 44 students and has since grown to the current enrollment of roughly 450 students in grades K-8. Classroom locations also grew from the Chase Mansion, to the Quonset Hut to the current school building that was dedicated on November 21, 1954. On February 28, 1982, as enrollment was on the increase, our school saw the addition of a gym, classroom, a religious education office and a library. The parish plant saw an additional expansion between the years 1997 – 1999 when the former convent was renovated to accommodate parish offices, space for Youth Ministry and Sunday nursery, as well as space for an After-Kindergarten program. During this time the church was linked with a Gathering Space that included meeting rooms in the basement. The school also benefited from the expansion projects with a new library, administrative offices, an art room and computer lab. To the gym wing were added a band room, a music room, storage garages for Festival and maintenance, athletic storage and a collection room for the St. Vincent de Paul Society. The Parish plant underwent another expansion in 2011 with the refurbishing of the convent as the new home for the Dominican Sisters of Mary, Mother of the Eucharist and again as recently as 2013 with another addition to house new parish offices, additional meeting rooms, an adoration chapel, pre-K room, a food pantry and clothing room.
Under the guidance of 6 former pastors and our current pastor, Fr. Anthony Dinovo, blessed with a large number of active Parish organizations, a perpetual adoration chapel and one of the most popular parish festivals in the Diocese, St. Michael’s continues to “Rise Up” bringing the message of Jesus Christ to others and making a difference in the Worthington community.
If you are interested in further exploring the rich history of St. Michael Parish, please contact the Historical Committee.
Milestones of St. Michael Church
January 17, 1946
Diocese establishes St. Michael Parish
February 01, 1946
Father John P. Byrne is transferred from Chillicothe and named Pastor.
February 10, 1946
Father Byrne offered first Mass in Pontifical College Josephinum.
February 17, 1946
First services held in initial parish church, a converted dance hall on E. North Street in Worthington.
March 04, 1946
I.O.O.F. Hall on E. Granville Rd. (Rt. 161) is leased by the new parish for Sunday services
April 12, 1946
Six acre site at the northeast corner of Selby Blvd. and High Street purchased for $45,500 as permanent location for parish facility.
May 26, 1946
First Mass offered in original “parish owned church” – the Chase Mansion. Two rooms had been converted by parishioners into a place of worship.
September 03, 1946
St. Michael School opened in converted classrooms in the Chase Mansion with 44 pupils in attendance, staffed by two Joliet Franciscan sisters.
Ground broken for quonset hut that was to house the first parish-built church.
July 11, 1948
Quonset hut dedicated by Bishop Ready with a Pontifical Low Mass.
June 20, 1954
Cornerstone laid by Auxiliary Bishop Edward G. Hettinger for new $272, 000 parish school.
Chase Mansion serves as convent for Joliet Franciscan sisters who staff the school.
November 21, 1954
New school with 11 classrooms, cafeteria, and kitchen is dedicated by Bishop Ready.
June 14, 1956
Rev. John M. Fulcher is appointed St. Michael’s first full-time Parochial Vicar.
New rectory with three room office wing and two-car garage completed. It replaced a small leased house at 28 W. Stanton Avenue in Worthington.
February 02, 1962
Fundraising campaign kickoff for new church.
September 30, 1962
Ground-breaking ceremonies launched construction of new church.
May 14, 1963
Cornerstone of new church laid and blessed by Auxiliary Bishop Hettinger.
June 14, 1964
First Sunday Mass offered by Father Byrne in new church.
August 23, 1964
New church dedicated by Bishop Clarence G. Issenmann with Pontifical High Mass.
October 21, 1967
New St. Michael Convent becomes home to nine Joliet Franciscan sisters.
April 18-21, 1971
Celebration of 25th anniversary of St. Michael Parish.
Mary Jo Ryan is named first lay principal of school.
Sister Rosemary Huzl is named as director of Religious Education.
After nearly 30 years serving St. Michael Elementary School and parish, Joliet Franciscan sisters leave.
Adult choir launches $25,000 fundraising campaign for new electronic church organ.
October 26, 1974
Bishop Edward J. Herrmann dedicates former convent as home for retired priests, to be known as the Vianney Residence.
St. Michaels Women’s Club holds first annual Bazaar.
June 10, 1976
Faculty and students of St. Michael School, along with Father Byrne, dedicate the Grotto to honor the Blessed Virgin Mary.
October 31, 1976
Founding Pastor Father Byrne retires.
November 17, 1976
Reverends John A. Geiger and Robert E. Schneider are appointed as co-pastors.
October 08, 1977
St. Michael Homecoming Festival is born.
November 06, 1977
Dedication of Father Byrne’s portrait on east wall of church vestibule.
November 20, 1977
Dedication recital of new church electronic organ.
September 1-3, 1979
Festival adds another day and new name “St. Michael Annual Labor Day Festival”
July 13, 1980
Father Edward Trenor is named pastor of St. Michael.
February 15, 1981
Campaign kickoff drive begins for new school addition to replace classrooms housed in the deteriorating quonset hut.
May 17, 1981
Father Byrne celebrates 50 years of priesthood.
November 13, 1981
Parish bingo revived.
February 28, 1982
New activity center and school addition dedicated with a noon concelebrated Mass, open house, and school science fair.
May 22, 1985
Father Edward Trenor celebrates 25 years of priesthood.
July 14, 1985
Christine M. Armbrust is named school principal.
January 14, 1987
Pastoral Helper Father Clement Faistl celebrates 50th anniversary of Ordination. Mass of Thanksgiving offered.
July 26, 1987
Sister Barbara Sir, CSJ, joins parish as pastoral minister.
May 29, 1988
St. Michael Elementary School receives national recognition and Exemplary School Award from U. S. Department of Education.
New pipe organ installed.
July 10, 1990
Father William A. Dunn is named pastor of St. Michael Parish. Father Trenor assigned pastor of Christ the King Parish in Columbus.
May 26, 1991
Father Byrne celebrates 60th anniversary of priesthood with Sunday Mass.
October 13, 1991
RENEW begins first of 5 seasons program.
February 15, 1992
John Crerand and John Vellani, St. Michael parishioners, are ordained permanent deacons in ceremonies at St. Joseph Cathedral, Columbus
April 12, 1992
Bishop Griffin announces closing of Vianney Residence as a retirement home for priests. Building is returned to St. Michael and renamed St. Ann Hall.
May 03, 1992
Deacon Elmer Lampe is named Chaplain of Doctors Hospital North by Bishop Griffin. Deacons John Crerand and John Vellani assigned to St. Michael Parish.
October 2-3, 1993
First annual Parish Activity Fair is held in church undercroft.
April 03, 1994
Building grounds committee and Parish Council present plan to renovate church and property, responding to the parish survey of October 1992.
Lori Zelina is named first full time Youth Minister.
Charter installation of St. Michael Council #11445 of the Knights of Columbus.
May 04, 1996
50th Anniversary Mass and Golden Jubilee Dinner
Parochial Vicar Fr. Michael Nimocks, reassigned
Sister Barbara leaves St. Michael for the Cleveland diocese
Ordination of Jeff Coning
St. Michael School receives full accreditation
Sister Owen Doody retires from faculty of St. Michael School after 18 years of service.
Fr. Willis Everett is reassigned
Fr. Thomas J. Brosmer assigned as Parochial Vicar
Klaus Fricke and Jim Keating ordained permanent deacons
Fr. Joseph Klee assigned as Parochial Vicar
25th Anniversary of the St. Michael Festival
Deacons John Crerand and John Vellani celebrate 10 years of ordained service.
Msgr. Dunn leaves St. Michael Parish
Deacon Jim Keating reassigned
Fr. Richard Pendolphi assigned as pastor
May 01, 2003
New adoration chapel opens
Statue of St. Patrick donated and installed
Knights of Columbus break ground on Respect Life Memorial
40th Anniversary of current church building
July 13, 2004
Fr. Brosmer reassigned to St. Cecilia Parish (Columbus, OH)
Fr. Joseph Losh joins St. Michael as a retired priest in residence
Stained glass windows installed in church
Fr. Klee leaves St. Michael
Fr. James Coleman assigned to St. Michael as Parochial Vicar
St. Michael Parish turns 60
Fr. Pendolphi celebrates 30 years of priesthood
Fr. Losh moves to the Villas of St. Therese
Benjamin Cieply, son of St. Michael, ordained a Deacon
Fr. Coleman reassigned
Ft. Stanley (Stash) Dailey assigned to St. Michael
Bill Demidovich ordained a permanent Deacon
December 20, 2008
Benjamin Cieply ordained in Rome
Renovation of the pipe organ begins with removal of 464 pipes to be revoiced
Installation of air conditioning in school completed
November 08, 2009
Dedication and blessing of Muller-Stantz organ
November 08, 2009
Dedication and blessing of ambo
At the invitation of Bishop Campbell, Dominican Sisters of Mary, Mother of the Eucharist begin teaching at and administering St. Michael School
September 18, 2012
Fr. Pendolphi reassigned as Priest/Moderator of St. Aloysius and St. Agnes Parishes (Columbus, OH)
September 18, 2012
Fr. Anthony A. Dinovo, Jr. appointed as pastor
September 18, 2012
Fr. Dailey reassigned as Administrator of Immaculate Conception Parish (Kenton, OH)
September 18, 2012
Fr. Mark Summers appointed as Parochial Vicar
March 17, 2013
Groundbreaking ceremony for new Parish Ministry Center
July 09, 2013
Fr. Summers reassigned as pastor at St. Peter (Columbus, OH)
July 09, 2013
Fr. Matthew Morris appointed as Parochial Vicar
November 30, 2013
Blessing of new Parish Ministry Center by Bishop Frederick Campbell
July 17, 2016
Fr. Matthew Morris reassigned as Parochial Vicar at St. Brigid of Kildare (Dublin, OH)
July 17, 2016
Fr. Timothy Lynch appointed as Parochial Vicar